My baby girl Valentina is still not feeling well and has now started coughing. Taking care of a sick baby is not easy at all! It breaks my heart seeing my baby suffer. After becoming a mother, I have a new degree of appreciation for my own mother. I now understand how much sacrifice my parents made to raise my brother and I. I remember when I was a kid I got sick all the time and whenever I started coughing my mom always made this Pear and Sliver Ear Mushroom Stew for me. I have been making this stew for Valentina for a couple of days now, and I feed her a bowl every day after her afternoon nap. She is slowly getting better and has been coughing less everyday. Last night she didn't cough at all during sleep. I just hope she doesn't cough or wake up tonight too!
Pears are an excellent source of dietary fiber and a good source of Vitamin C. They are less allergenic than many other fruits which is why pear juice is often the first fruit juice introduced to infants. Pears are also cool food according to the Chinese Diet Philosophy, and stewing pear to help prevent coughing is a very common homemade remedy in China. You need to add all the ingredients in a double covered cup and then steam it for a long time in order to get all the nutritions out. I like to serve it chilled. It tastes better and can be a great snack/drink even for healthy people.
- A few piece of dried sliver ear mushroom
- 1 pear
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp apricot kernels
- 2 cups of fresh water
- Soak sliver ear mushroom and apricot kernels for 30 minutes before cooking. Make sure to clean them afterwards.
- Core and cut apple into quarters.
- In a medium double covered cup, add sliver ear mushroom, pear, apricot kernels and water (fill up this cup).
- Cover the cup and transfer to a steamer. Once it starts steaming, turn the heat to lower-high and keep steaming for 2 hours. Then take out from the steamer, let cool for 30 minutes. Add honey and mix it. Lastly keep the stew in the fridge and let it chill.