I have been filming a lot recently. After posting 4 amazing videos in a row, I am finally back to blogging. Ever since I posted the Wonton Soup in Spicy Sauce I have got a lot of requests for the chili oil recipe. This chili oil is very easy to make and you just need a few simple ingredients. After you make the first batch of chili oil, you can always heat up more oil and top it up to suit your taste. I used to buy pre-ground chili flakes to make chili oil but this time I bought whole chilies and blended them before making the oil. I found that using ground whole chili makes the oil 10 times spicier than using pre-ground chili flakes. So if you want your chili oil to be spicy use the whole chili, otherwise use the chili flakes if you want your chili oil to be less spicy.
- 3.5 oz dried chili
- 3 tbsp roasted peanuts (optional)
- 3 - 4 cups of cooking oil
- Add the whole chili in a blender and blend at high speed to desired consistency. Transfer the ground chili to a bowl and add the peanuts.
- In a medium wok or sauce pan, heat up 3 - 4 cups of cooking oil. When the oil starts to smoke, turn off the heat and let the oil cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the oil on top of the ground chili and peanuts in the bowl, wait to cool before serving and you are done!